Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Possibility of Preterm Labor.

Me and hubby went in this morning for a routine ultrasound. It was great, I always enjoy seeing my daughter move and squirm around in my belly. Its a wonderful experience and I love the excitement of getting them. They for sure are the most exciting Dr visits anyone will ever have.

Since this was our first ultrasound at this OB, we got a free DVD as well as some awesome 3D photographs for her photo album I'm putting together.

Towards the end of the ultrasound, the ultrasound tech started talking about my cervix, I couldn't really understand him very well, he has a very thick accent and I cant quite pinpoint where he's from. All I understood was cervix and something about a vaginal ultrasound. Needless to say, he decided to take a closer look at my cervix through a trans-vaginal ultrasound.

Once he was done with that he told me that he wanted me to see my doctor today. I was so nervous, it took everything I had not to cry when we were sitting in the waiting room waiting for my doctor to see us. When we finally got into the exam room my doctor explained that when I wasn't opening my cervix, it was really small. Somehow this means that I am high risk for preterm labor. They sent me to see another doctor that deals with the cervix and he explained everything and told me that when we were done there I had to go to the hospital to get a steroid shot to strengthen Rylee's lungs in case of preterm labor. (I'm only 29weeks and 2 days at this point). I also have to go back to the hospital tomorrow to get a second round of shots and I have another doctor appointment and ultrasound next week to see if there is any change in my cervix. Hopefully everythings back to normal.

I'm glad it wasn't as much of a scare as I thought it was going to be but I don't like the idea of my baby getting here any earlier than she needs to be. I'm not on bed rest. I just need to drink A LOT of water and not do any strenuous activity (including large poops :p)

Steroid shots are a pain in the ass!




No comments:

Post a Comment